February is a very special time of year for the Furr-bulous family. Not only is it Carolina’s - Owner & Founder of Furr-bulous - birthday month, it is also Cielo’s estimated birthday month as well. In case any readers out there don’t yet know the Furr-bulous story, Cielo is one of the Furr-bulous shop dogs and the inspiration that launched the idea for this business almost a year ago. Cielo is a backyard breeder survivor and her journey is what motivated her humans to find a way to help save the lives of other dogs like her. Through their brand, they donate a portion of sales to a different rescue organization every month. And as a way to celebrate the importance of this month, they have chosen to donate 30% of sales to the Humane Rescue Alliance in Washington D.C., where the gorgeous Cielo was rescued from.
“To protect animals, support families, and advocate for positive change to create a world where all animals can thrive. We enrich the humanity of our communities by promoting compassion and encouraging people to find joy, comfort and companionship through the love and appreciation of animals.”
The words above represent the mission statement for the Humane Rescue Alliance. Having formed in 2016, the HRA was established as a merger of two iconic welfare organizations: the Washington Humane Society and the Washington Animal Rescue League. Together, these organizations have more than a century of experience in protecting, rescuing and caring for animals in the District of Columbia. Over the decades, thousands of animals and people have benefitted from their combined programs and services. Their focus today is to build on the success of the two former organizations they were born from by being a single destination for all animal-related needs.
Here are a few of their programs:
- Bringing people and animals together through adoption.
- Providing affordable veterinary care through low-cost vaccination clinics, as well as discounted full-service care to income-qualified families.
- Keeping pets in their homes by comprehensively addressing the lack of accessible, affordable pet care in under-served communities.
- Making their community better for animals and people through access to humane law enforcement, animal care and control, and through a safe haven program for domestic abuse victims that allows safe placement of their pets while they seek refuge.
- Surrender prevention counseling allows families to seek counseling to help pet owners solve issues, allowing families and pets to remain together.
These are just a few of the programs the Humane Rescue Alliance offers local residents. With such a devoted commitment to serve their community and the animals that reside within it, it is easy to see why the HRA is so important to the Furr-bulous family.